Throughout the existence of the Third Reich, the Germans banned and burned subversive literature. I would like to give my endorsement of this practice, and I am hereby calling for it in America. We will not only have to burn books, but cleanse the television, the cinemas, DVD stores and the internet as well. Allowing all forms of propaganda in a society is a sure road to endless personal suffering, internal social conflict and, ultimately, complete destruction.
As the rules laid out nearly a century ago still apply today, I will present here some of the guidelines and explanations that the NSDAP gave for their book burning programs.
Emphasis is mine, throughout.
The first piece, printed on April 14, 1933 in the Völkischer Beobachter, lays out twelve “book-burning slogans” to be followed by the German Students Association.
12 Theses Against the Un-German Spirit: A Propaganda Campaign of the German Students’ Association
The German Students’ Association (Main Office for Press and Propaganda) is conducting a propaganda campaign named “Against the un-German Spirit” between April 12 and May 10, 1933.
The Jewish mind, as it reveals itself in its unrestrained worldwide malicious agitation, and as it has already penetrated into German literature, must be eradicated together with all liberalism. However, the German Students’ Association wants to do more than just voicing empty protests; they want a conscious return to values inherent in the German Volk. These values are defined here in these 12 Propositions, which will be publicly posted as of April 13:
- Language and literature have their roots in the Volk. It is the German Volk’s responsibility to assure that its language and literature are the pure and unadulterated expression of its Volk traditions.
- At present there is a chasm between literature and German tradition. This situation is a disgrace.
- Purity of language and literature is your responsibility. Your Volkish-ness has entrusted you with faithfully preserving your language.
- Our most dangerous enemy is the Jew and those who are his slaves.
- A Jew can only think Jewish. If he writes in German, he is lying. The German who writes in German, but thinks un-German is a traitor, the student who speaks and writes un-German is, in addition, thoughtless and has abandoned his duties.
- We wish to eradicate lies, we want to denounce treason, we want for us students, institutions of discipline and political education, not mindlessness.
- We want to regard the Jew as alien and we want to respect the traditions of the Volk. Therefore, we demand of the censor: Jewish writings are to be published in Hebrew. If they appear in German, they must be identified as translations. Strongest actions against the abuse of German script. German script is only available to Germans. The un-German spirit is to be eradicated from public libraries.
- We demand of the German students the desire and capability for independent knowledge and decisions.
- We demand of German students the desire and capability to maintain the purity of the German language.
- We demand of German students the desire and capability to overcome Jewish intellectualism and the resulting liberal decay in the German spirit.
- We demand the selection of students and professors in accordance with their reliability and commitment to the German spirit.
- We demand that German universities be a stronghold of the German Volk tradition and a battleground reflecting the power of the German mind.
Next we have General Principles for the Compilation of Blacklists, which was drawn up by librarian and party member Wolfgang Herrmann and printed on May 10, 1933 in Die Bücherverbrennung.
General Principles for the Compilation of Blacklists
- The standards for the compilation of blacklists are of a literary-political nature. The fundamental question, necessary for any political decision applies here too: Who is the real enemy? Against whom do we direct our fight?
- Our fight is against the undermining of our inherent way of thinking and living. It is against “Asphalt” literature which is predominantly written for the urban resident, in order to confirm and strengthen his detachment from his environment — from his Volk, from any community, and which up-roots him completely. This is the literature of intellectual Nihilism.
- This type of literature has predominantly, although not exclusively, Jewish authors. However, not every Jewish author is an Asphalt writer. For example, the criticism of the assimilated Jew by the Zionist E. Ben-Gurion represents principles of a Jewish Volk.
- Not every Russian author is a cultural bolshevist. Dostoevsky and L. Tolstoy do not belong on the index. New acquisitions of Russian authors are not necessary, just as it is not necessary to destroy all new Russian books. (e.g.: Fadejew, Tarassow-Rodionow)
- As a rule it is recommended to retain a copy of even the nost dangerous books in the poison cabinets of the large city and university libraries, pending the coming altercation with the “Asphalt” literati and the Marxists.
- Technically, the cleansing should be done in stages. New acquisitions should be depended upon to fill the resulting gaps with German literature.
- Books that are blocked from check-out can practically be divided into three groups:More important that the cleansing is the building up of holdings in accordance with the new Germany.
- Group 1 is to be destroyed (Auto da fé), e.g. Remarque
- Group 2 goes into the poison cabinet (e.g. Lenin)
- Group 3 contains dubious cases requiring future assessment as to whether they belong to group 1 or group 2 (e.g. Traven).
- More important than the cleansing is the building-up of holdings in accordance with the new Germany.
- The building of nationalistic and socialistic holdings does definitely not include the patriotic kitsch. Blacklists are being compiled of such works. Examples of patriotic kitsch: P.0. Hacker, P. Hoch!
The second purge took place in 1935, and the following guidelines were published in the official Journal of the German lending library, Die Bücherei.
This is a crucial list of the kinds of things that should not exist within a society that intends on keeping itself happy, healthy and peaceful, and can be copied almost word-for-word when Judgment Day comes to the United states of America.
All of the following types of literature were to be banned.
- The works of traitors, emigrants and authors from foreign countries who believe they can attack and denigrate the new German (H.G. Wells, Rolland).
- The literature of Marxism, Communism and Bolshevism.
- Pacifist literature.
- Literature with liberal, democratic tendencies and attitudes, and writings supporting the Weimar Republic (Rathenau, Heinrich Mann).
- All historical writings whose purpose is to denigrate the origin, the spirit and the culture of the German Volk, or to dissolve the racial and structural order of the Volk, or that denies the force and importance of leading historical figures in favor of egalitarianism and the masses, and which seeks to drag them through the mud (Emil Ludwig).
- Writings of a philosophical and social nature whose content deals with the false scientific enlightenment of primitive Darwinism and Monism (Hackel).
- Books that advocate “art” which is decadent, bloodless, or purely constructivist (Grosz, Dix, Bauhaus, Mendelsohn).
- Writings on sexuality and sexual education which serve the egocentric pleasure of the individual and thus, completely destroy the principles of race and Volk (Hirschfeld).
- The decadent, destructive and Volk-damaging writings of “Asphalt and Civilization” literati! (Graf, H. Mann, Stefan Zweig, Wassermann, Franz Blei).
- Literature by Jewish authors, regardless of the field.
- Popular entertainment literature that depicts life and life’s goals in a superficial, unrealistic and sickly sweet manner, based on a bourgeois or upper class view of life.
- Nationalistic and patriotic kitsch in literature (P.O. Hacker!).
I am not sure of the date of this last piece, but it keenly elaborates on some of the thinking behind the bannings. It is a preface to a list of banned books put out by Alfred Rosenberg’s Kampfbund für deutsche Kultur (Militant League for German Culture).
Blacklist for Public Libraries and Commercial Lending Libraries
Fighting League for German Culture: Guidelines for Narrative Literature.
The following list attempts to include that part of literature which absolutely must be removed from public libraries or from commonly accessible commercial lending libraries, because of its destructive and damaging tendencies towards the cultural and public goals of the National Socialist revolution.
It is difficult and not absolutely necessary to achieve complete adherence. Emphasis is placed on publications of the recent past and on those older books which are still occasionally found in libraries.
The purpose of this list is to help the librarian or responsible person in charge of lending libraries to conduct the necessary weeding out; but it does not relieve them of their responsibility regarding the acquisition of future library holdings. The list eliminates the most harmful books and by example, sets the guidelines for an additional conscientious survey of the library holdings.
The listed authors and works serve at the same time as examples for others that are not included in this list because they are outdated and usually are no longer kept in libraries. At the same time the list serves as an example for the selection of future literary works.
Specifically, it could not be the function of this list to enumerate the thousands of titles of trashy literature or other mediocre literature damaging to the spirit and the soul of the Volk. The efforts of cultural reconstruction by the National Socialist revolution is also strongly opposed to this public poison, even when it appears in the guise of the so-called “patriotic kitsch.” In this situation, responsible persons are faced with an urgent task, especially the supervisors of many a lending library.
Only in the area of Communist and Marxist destructive literature does the list exceed what is usually found in public libraries. Nevertheless, strict attention is necessary in this area, since it is impossible to include everything in this field.
It is clear that the cleansing action and future oversight must definitely be placed in the hands of experienced, politically dependable, expert public librarians.
According to the principles governing the compilation of this list, the following publications must be removed from public and commercial lending libraries:
a) All writings that ridicule and belittle the state and its institutions, or that attack or question its moral foundation.
b) All writings that attack or attempt to dissolve the order of the community of the Volk and its moral foundation, specifically those against the race and biological requirements of a healthy Volk (marriage, family, etc.).
c) All writings that ridicule, belittle or besmirch the Christian religion and its institution, faith in God, or other things that are holy to the healthy sentiments of the Volk.
d) The writings of the so-called “Asphalt” literature whose characteristics are superficial witticism and a quick intellectualism. These writings may be presented with virtuoso facility, but in its relativity lacks any adherence to the values that provide the basis for the common national, moral and religious life. This literature makes no attempt to strive for these values and goals; it fancies itself in its free-floating intellectualism and thus leads to the total negation of all values and commitments (Literature of intellectual Nihilism).
“Asphalt literature” is used here to mean “literature from the gutter”; most modern literature falls into this category, as well as virtually all digital entertainment media. Alex Jones is patriotic kitsch.
Note that the Party put extreme emphasis not simply on subversive political doctrine, but also on material which would undermine the social order. Nihilism was viewed as a poison to the body social, and it was simply banned completely for the good of the collective.
In America, we have an entire society formulated around hollow, abstract concepts which are so oft repeated that we all imagine they have real weight. The policies of the NSDAP were based wholly in the realm of the real, where causes and effects are weighed not by abstractions such as “free speech,” “artistic expression,” or “personal liberty,” but by their real life effects on both individuals and society as a whole.
Both entertainment media and liberalized academia are pushing down on our people with immense pressure. They are breaking us. The only real solution is to remove these influences from our society completely, so that we may begin to heal our hearts and minds from the damage that has been inflicted on us by the Jew virus.